Following a couple weeks of huge action in Europe, Bryn Kenney still holds the top spot in the 2017 GPI Player of the Year standings after an outstanding start but seven new players entered the Top 20 as Daniel Dvoress and Nick Petrangelo both climbed five spots.
Timothy Adams, Andreas Klatt, Felipe Ramos, Dan Colman, Charlie Carrel, Mikita Badziakouski and Dan Smith either cracked the leaderboard or returned. Less than a month ago 1,500 points would land a player in the top ten spots but with the average score rising, it might not lock up a spot in top 20.
Kenney already has four wins and three second place finishes this year and opted not to travel to Amsterdam following Monte Carlo. He’s got a seat in the 2017 Super High Roller Bowl and might be the player to beat considering how hot he’s running.
Dvoress climbed six spots in the previous rankings update and climbed another five spots this week. The Canadian pro had the best week of his career at PokerStars Championship Monte Carlo with a third place in the Super High Roller, a top-100 finish in the Main Event, runner-up in a €50,000 High Roller, a seventh place in a turbo €25,500 event and 21st place in the three-day €25,750 High Roller event.
Nick Petrangelo made three final tables in Monte Carlo, finished in 82nd place in the Main Event and cashed for $409,400. A couple weeks prior he cashed for $709,987 in Macau in three final table runs.
Klatt went from unknown and unranked to the 12th spot in the rankings following his Monte Carlo run. He had a little over $100,000 in career earnings before he won the Monte Carlo National Championship for $164,935 and finished in second place in the Main Event for $438,660.
Top 20 GPI POY Standings (As of May 11)
1. Bryn Kenney – 2,840.97 (-)
2. Sergio Aido – 2,463.57 (+1)
3. Daniel Dvoress – 2,420.79 (+5)
4. Nick Petrangelo – 2,392.76 (+5)
5. Manig Loeser – 2,262.69 (+2)
6. Ari Engel – 2,208.79 (-4)
7. Koray Aldemir – 2,176.14 (-3)
8. Mustapha Kanit – 2,109.57 (-3)
9. Byron Kaverman – 2,1088.44 (-3)
10. Steve O’Dwyer – 1,938.12 (-)
11. Timothy Adams – 1,854.35 (NR)
12. Andreas Klatt – 1,723.27 (NR)
13. Yang Zhang – 1,660.39 (-2)
14. Felipe Ramos – 1,629.23 (NR)
15. Anthony Spinella – 1,601.87 (-1)
16. Loni Harwood – 1,592.58 (-1)
17. Daniel Colman – 1,568.06 (NR)
18. Charlie Carrel – 1,556.37 (NR)
19. Mikita Badzaikouski – 1,549.25 (NR)
20. Dan Smith – 1,542.31 (NR)
Dropped from Rankings: Dylan Wilkerson (12th), Pete Yen Han Chen (13th), Darryll Fish (16th), Ryan Riess (17th), Ben Heath (18th), Daniel Pehlivan (19th), Josias Santos (20th)