“Pass the sugar!” became known all over the world when Joe Hachem willed his way to the 2005 World Series of Poker Main Event crown. The Aussie won the biggest Main Event at that point and became an instant celebrity in his home country and throughout the world of poker.
Today, on Heads Up with Remko, Hachem tells his life story, what’s he’s currently working on and how he looks back on some of the pivotal moments of his Main Event run.
Jump right into your favorite part:
- 4:50 – The start of the interview with Joe Hachem, his current daily routines, family life and running restaurants.
- 11:57 – Raising kids as the WSOP Main Event champion, being in casinos almost 24/7.
- 16:38 – Joe’s life before winning the Main Event, arriving in Australia as an immigrant and building up his career.
- 21:20 – Turning a $30,000 bankroll into a WSOP Main Event title and millions of dollars on his first trip to Las Vegas.
- 29:13 – Pass the sugar!! And the story of the Australia flag at the Main Event final table.
- 35:02 – How Joe’s life changed forever with the turn of a card, newfound fame, and lifestyle.
- 43:08 – Joe’s competitive spirit and motivations throughout his poker career.
- 48:35 – Reflecting and looking at Joe’s own poker game, and talking about the current day pros.
- 55:50 – Joe’s love for poker, the rush of going deep in a big event, and playing mixed games and PLO.
- 59:40 – The ambassadorship that the honor of Main Event champions brings with it, and the state of the game.
- 1:06:15 – Joe’s current poker play, and the lack of action in Australia.
Looking for more poker action? Make sure to subscribe to PokerGO now. Get in touch with the show on [email protected]